ADIDS Element Activity and Discussion
Parent Topic(s) Creating and Managing Strong Passwords
Duration 15-20 minutes
Materials to Prepare
- A space suitable for the activity given the number of participants - clear any chairs and tables as needed
- If running the activity in a larger space, or outdoors, colored electric tape to indicate “start” and “finish” lines
Running the Activity
First ask all the participants to stand on one end of the room in a line. Introduce the race as described above with the goal being to see who gets to the other side of the room first.
Step 1. Running the Race
Once the group is ready, call out the following instructions:
- If you use your birthday for your password, take 2 steps forward.
- If you use your [mom’s / dad’s / child’s / sister’s / brother’s / partner’s] name in your password, take 2 steps forward.
- If you use your phone number or anyone else’s phone number for your password, take 2 steps forward.
- If you use ‘Password’ as your password, take 3 steps forward.
- If you use ‘1234567890’ as your password, take 3 steps forward.
- If you use the same password for at least 2 social networking accounts, take 4 steps forward.
- If you use the same password for your email and your social networking accounts, take 6 steps forward.
While everyone is still standing in their places, ask the participants the following questions:
- What do you think this activity was about?
- What do you think is a good password?
- Why do people not use good passwords?